9 hrs 40 mins
Tee Lee's Note:
Sounds delicious. Posted for safe-keeping. From Ladies Home Journal. Their nutritional info is VERY different from Zaar's for this recipe, I think Zaar is forgetting that there are bones in the ribs, not just 4 pounds of straight meat. LHJ version of nutrition: calories 480; total fat 14.5g; saturated fat 5.5g; cholesterol 75mg; sodium 696mg; carbohydrate 51g; fiber 7g; protein 32g;
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (from a 16-ounce bag)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- 1Combine carrot, onions and garlic in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- 2Rinse ribs and pat dry; season with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in a large, wide pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 4Add ribs, in batches, and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- 5Transfer, as cooked, to slow cooker.
- 6Stir together tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, cornstarch and tomato paste in a bowl; pour over ribs. Add bay leaf.
- 7Cover and cook, 9 to 11 hours on LOW or 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours on HIGH.
- 8After cooking, skim off any fat from top (discard bay leaf).
- 9Combine 3-3/4 cups water, the polenta and salt in a large saucepan over moderately high heat.
- 10Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 11Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 12Serve ribs over polenta and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Short Ribs With Cheesy Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1282.2
- Calories from Fat 1025
- Total Fat 113.9 g
- Saturated Fat 49.1 g
- Cholesterol 234.6 mg
- Sodium 676.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 47.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen pearl onions