Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This pub favorite is so simple to make ahead of time-you can layer the ingredients in your slow cooker the night before. Cover and refrigerate; then plug in the cooker and you're ready to go. Use your slow cooker to make a traditional shepherd's pie that's filled with lean ground beef and vegetables and topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes or 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave potatoes on high, turning once, until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from microwave, let cool slightly, then peel and mash with milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 second longer. Add beef, increase heat to medium-high and cook, breaking up chunks, until meat is cooked through and beginnning to brown, 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a small cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 cup water. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until liquid thickens slightly. Remove from heat; transfer to slow cooker.
- Layer vegetables on top of meat; top with potatoes. Cover, turn slow cooker to low and cook for 3 hours.