Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
When I want to save the stovetop or oven on thanksgiving, I will make this awesome stuffing in my slow-cooker.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups olives, sliced (black)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (as needed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, carrots and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Cook sausage and drain fat, set aside.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper.
- Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Add sliced olives.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
This was a bit of work but tasted nice. I especially took a liking to the black olives. Will try this again in the future just to make sure I didn't "mess" up when I made it. Reviewed for "Went to Market" tag.