Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Inexpensive & easy spaghetti dinner.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style crushed tomatoes (crushed tomatoes with basil)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, whisked into 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Put all ingredients except spaghetti and cheese into slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low for seven to eight hours. Add a little more water if sauce gets too thick. One half hour before serving, bring a large pot of water to boil and add salt. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- While spaghetti is cooking, remove any oil that has accumulated on top of the sauce with a spoon and discard. Remove sausages pieces from the slow cooker and cut them into thirds. Ladle the sauce over the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Arrange sausage pieces on top. Have grated Parmesan cheese on the table for sprinkling. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.