Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My father always made this in the fall and all he had to do was mention he was cooking it and we would all be there invited or not. Can't get any simpler with only 4 ingredients.
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1⁄4 cup caraway seed
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 sliced green apple (if you like it a little less sour you can add the apple)
- Place Sauerkraut with its juice into crockpot and caraway seeds, garlic (and apple if desired) and stir to mix together.
- place pork tenderloin on top and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 5.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy.
I'm not sure if it was the caraway seeds or the apple, but it took away the bitterness that I really love, so I pulled half of the sauerkraut from the crock and put a new batch in the pot halfway through the cook time. At that point that pork tenderloin was just falling apart. can't wait to enjoy this!
This was simply delicious, we really enjoyed it. Our sauerkraut burned a little on the edge due to a lack of liquid but the majority of it was great. We added apple which added a nice sweetness and I'd add more next time. I served with boiled buttered carrots. Yum!
We had this for new years. Great recipe, I used 1/4 cup of the caraway seeds and subbed applesauce for the green apple. I also added hot dogs for the last 15 minutes.