Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A very easy way to use ground beef and make it a little more heathly. Makes a nice gravy. Altered from a recipe on Allrecipes to make it more me friendly.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) canscondensed Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (7/8 ounce) packetdry reduced-sodium brown gravy mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1⁄4 cup water (this is how much I use b or c I like a thicker gravy)
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef,, onions, and bread crumbs,using your hands. Shape into 6 patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the patties in flour just to coat, and quickly brown on both sides in the hot skillet. Place browned patties into the slow cooker stacking alternately like a pyramid. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water. Pour over the meat. Cook on the Low setting for 4 or 5 hours, until ground beef is well done.
I made half the recipe for DH and I used that amount to make two Salisbury Steak's (we like them kind of big). The gravy was very tasty. Since the meat was already cooked I shortened the crock pot time to 2.5 hrs. The patties were fine but I did need to simmer the gravy mix for 5 to 8 mind to smooth it out. Next time I wouldn't cook the meat totally done before putting it in the pot. Made for PAC, Spring 2014.