Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a stick to your ribs recipe. Serve it with mashed potatoes or over egg noodles. Each serving is 1 1/3 cup. I found this recipe in Cooking Club magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 20 ounces canned beef consomme (2-10.5oz cans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Marinate beef in wine in resealable plastic bag in refrigerator up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain beef; reserve marinade. Pat beef dry. Heat slow cooker to high. Add consomme, onions and mushrooms.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Add bacon to slow cooker.
- Combine flour, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder in large bag. Add beef; shake to coat. Remove beef; reserve flour mixture.
- Cook beef in bacon drippings in batches over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes until browned on all sides. Place in slow cooker.
- Add reserved flour mixture to drippings in skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the reserved marinade; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining marinade and thyme to slow cooker. Cook over low heat 7-9 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef and vegetables. Pour liquid into large skillet; boil over high heat 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over beef and vegetables.