Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is from the January 2007 edition of Southern Living Magazine. Southern Living suggests not lifting the lid while cooking your roast. Heat is lost when the lid is opened, resulting in an additional 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom & garlic soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion and mushroom soup mix
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs eye of round roast, trimmed (I like to use Chuck roast)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 5 1/2-qt. slow cooker.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with flour, salt, and pepper.
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; slice to serve.
- Skim fat from gravy in slow cooker, if desired.
- Whisk gravy; serve over roast.
- Serves 6.
I've already made this twice since I found the recipe. Everyone loved it. It makes the best gravy ever. I used Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix and I used regular cream of mushroom soup so I added two cloves of garlic, split. I thickened the gravy in a saucepan with cornstarch. Love it!
Thank you Bev for the great roast recipe, my family LOVED this! This was my first roast making adventure and it turned out great. I used an onion gravy mix instead of the mushroom onion soup mix (because that was what I had) and added some chopped garlic because my cream of mushroom soup didn't have any already in it. This will be a staple recipe in my kitchen from now on! I served this with Recipe#69225 and it was a wonderful addition, thanks again!
It's rainy and cold here today, so I decided to make a roast in the crock pot. This came out wonderfully tender and delicious. I used the low sodium soup and broth and you wouldn't know the difference. I also added 1/4 c. red wine, and also cut an onion in half and threw in 2 tsp. jarred garlic, and cooked it along with the roast. Excellent flavor. We are all looking forward to having this roast many more times.