Recipe by Bev
This recipe is from the January 2007 edition of Southern Living Magazine. Southern Living suggests not lifting the lid while cooking your roast. Heat is lost when the lid is opened, resulting in an additional 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
Top Review by Starweaver
I've already made this twice since I found the recipe. Everyone loved it. It makes the best gravy ever. I used Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix and I used regular cream of mushroom soup so I added two cloves of garlic, split. I thickened the gravy in a saucepan with cornstarch. Love it!
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom & garlic soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion and mushroom soup mix
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs eye of round roast, trimmed (I like to use Chuck roast)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 5 1/2-qt. slow cooker.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with flour, salt, and pepper.
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; slice to serve.
- Skim fat from gravy in slow cooker, if desired.
- Whisk gravy; serve over roast.
- Serves 6.