Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
my attempt to make dahl in my crock pot/slow cooker. i love dahl but the stovetop fashion is time consuming. NOTE that all spices and seasonings here are more or less to taste. you could just stick to garlic, ginger, curry powder & some red pepper flakes to keep things simple. we'll see how this turns out...
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed & sorted
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds (to taste)
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- water, as needed
- toss it all in there and cook on low 6-8 hours. check water level a few times to make sure lentils don't burn, add water if needed.
I made this on th e stove top on my lowest burner using a heat diffuser. It cooked beautifully with no watching or worrying within an hour. I was concerned the spices might taste a bit raw with not being fried gently in a little oild first, and maybe they do a little bit, but this wins heaps of points for being such a quick, tasty and straightforward recipe that I would make again any time. Thank you o much for posting what's sure to become a favourite!
I substituted the Coriander for Garam Masala & paired it with Chapatis (flatbread) stretching it to 12 half cup servings. Great tasty & healthy recipe!
This was better than some of the dahls I've had at Indian restaurants! Quick and easy but tastes like you spent all day on it!