Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
"Red braising" is a classic Chinese technique of slowly cooking meat in a flavorful stock rich with soy sauce, which makes the braising liquid reddish. Since it's already a slow cooking method, I've adapted it to the crock pot. This is a SMALL recipe, enough for two people. It WILL NOT scale up well - larger quantities will not need as much liquid as this would produce.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (or Shaoxing wine if you have it)
- 1⁄2 whole star anise
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 slice ginger, 3/4-inch thick, smashed with the flat of a cleaver
- 1 garlic clove, smashed with the flat of a cleaver
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 lb country-style pork ribs, bone-in
- Combine the ingredients (except the pork) in a 3-4 qt slow cooker. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pork, cover, and cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve with rice.