Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is one of my favorite fall and winter recipes when I want something that I can just put into the crockpot and forget about it. I've cooked this for several hours past the cooking time that I list and it still comes out perfect.
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Combine all ingredients in the crockpot and add enough water to cover. Cook on high heat for 1 hour. Turn crockpot to low and cook for an additional 8-10 hours.
- Serve with rice or cornbread.