Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
I found this recipe on fatfreevegan.com some time ago and wanted to put it here so all my healthy recipes are in one place. They say this is a Weight Watchers recipes and that is 4 points per serving.
Top Review by kyepsen
I really wanted to like this recipe. It smelled so good when I came home from work. BUT....it was like glue. I think cooking it 7 hours was WAY too long. If I try this again I would cook it about 4 hours and see how it is.
- 1 cup barley, uncooked and rinsed (use long-cooking variety, not pearled barley)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt