Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I found this recipe on fatfreevegan.com some time ago and wanted to put it here so all my healthy recipes are in one place. They say this is a Weight Watchers recipes and that is 4 points per serving.
- 1 cup barley, uncooked and rinsed (use long-cooking variety, not pearled barley)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients, in order listed, in slow cooker. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Stir and serve. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.
I really wanted to like this recipe. It smelled so good when I came home from work. BUT....it was like glue. I think cooking it 7 hours was WAY too long. If I try this again I would cook it about 4 hours and see how it is.
This really smelled good when I came home for lunch.. but it needs 'something'. I'm not sure what.. but it needs some flavor. I think I'll try pairing it with some sausage or kielbasa. It just lacked something. I love barley and kidney beans...but didn't care much for this dish.
This smelled great while cooking--it nearly drove DH and I crazy as we knocked around the house on Saturday afternoon :). That said, DH loved it and I was less thrilled. I think it was a texture thing for me; I am not a big fan of risotto, either, and that is about the texture this ended with. The flavor is very good, though, so I might be tempted to try the recipe again with the same ingredients but simmered on the stovetop with the barley cooked separately. Thanks for posting; I'm sure I'll tinker with this one. Made for Veg*n Swap.