Recipe by Deantini
Slow cooked meals I find to be a delight, both to prepare for ease but also for the tender meat. You can reduce the cooking time if you place the slow cooker on high. We made this with 3.5 lbs of pork and had more than enough meat for 6 servings. I would also reduce the chicken broth as we found there was too much liquid.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder (can be reduced to 3 lbs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup chicken stock (recommend 1/2 cup instead)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 18 taco shells
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup light sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown pork all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic and chili powder to Dutch oven; fry, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, stirring to scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan; scrape into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or until pork is tender.
- If you do not have time, you could omit step 1-3 and just add everything to the cooker as it is. I think that step 1-3 does add flavour, though.
- Transfer pork to cutting board. Trim off excess fat; with 2 forks, shred pork. Return pork to slow cooker.
- Add corn, salsa and tomato paste. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in coriander.
- Serve in bowl along with basket of taco shells for everyone to spoon mixture into.
- Serve lettuce, tomatoes cheese and sour cream in separate small bowls for everyone to garnish tacos.