Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is easy to prepare because it's mostly made in the slow cooker.
Make and share this Slow Cooker Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs boneless pork butt
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- ground pepper
- Remove the excess fat from the exterior of the pork. It is fine to leave some on, as we will skim off fat later. If the pork is one large piece, cut it into two or three pieces.
- Place the onions, tomatoes, garlic, paprika, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar and salt into the slow cooker and toss to combine. Add the pork and mix it with the other ingredients. Cover.
- Set the slow cooker for 8 hours on low. Although the pork will begin to smell really good in about an hour, leave the lid alone.
- After 4 hours, turn the meat over once, replace the lid and continue to cook.
- When the cooking is complete, remove the meat and set aside. Skim any fat along the top of the cooking liquid, or allow the liquid to cool and then remove the fat.
- Purée the remaining liquid to a sauce-like consistency; it should be thick but smooth.
- When the meat is cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull the pork into shreds. Season with black pepper.
- Heat the puréed liquid and add it to the meat as desired, depending on how saucy you like your pulled pork.
- To make the sandwich: Place a portion of the pulled pork onto the bottom half of the toasted bun, and top with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
- Store leftover pulled pork in an airtight container for 5 to 6 days or in a freezer for up to 6 weeks.