Recipe by TARGET® Recipes
Flavorful pork is braised with lots of Hunt's Tomato Sauce and aromatic vegetables in a slow cooker for convenience then shredded and warmed through with the accumulated cooking juices.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- additional salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the pork with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the pork on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the chicken broth and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring to pick up any browned bits on the bottom, until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Pour in the Hunt’s Tomato Sauce and bring to a boil. Pour the contents of the skillet over the pork. Cover and cook on low until the pork is very tender, 8 to 10 hours. Remove to a plate or platter and cool.
- Skim off fat from the surface of the cooker and increase the setting to high. Stir brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce into the liquid in the cooker. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, while pulling the pork. Season with salt and pepper.
- When cool enough to handle, pull the pork into shreds, removing all fat and gristle. Return to the cooker and cook uncovered, stirring often, until blended and the sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Serve on hamburger rolls with coleslaw. Makes enough for 10 to 12 sandwiches.