Recipe by Chef Joyous
For best results, make this a day before eating. Temptation is great to eat it before it is done as it smells so YUMMY, but it is best if you let it "marinate" over night.
Top Review by Rich Holder
Good the first day. Great on the second day! I used 2 tablespoons of hickory seasoning (liquid smoke) and when adding the bbq sauce I added approx 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to give it some tang. But the vinegar may not be necessary depending on the type of sauce used. I was using original Sweet Baby Rays and it needed kicked up a little. This is my new pulled pork recipe from here on out. Good recipe!
- 3 -4 lbs pork shoulder or 3 -4 lbs pork butt or 3 -4 lbs pork roast
- 3 small onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 celery ribs
- 24 ounces root beer
- hickory seasoning (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- 16 soft sandwich buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray slow cooker with PAM spray for ease in clean up.
- Trim fat from meat, place in slow cooker.
- Top with 3 cloves of garlic (crushed),2 small onions (Chopped),Celery stalks cut to fit in cooker, hickory seasoning to taste.
- Pour root beer over everything.
- Cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove from pan, pull pork with a fork while cutting off extra fat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and your favorite flavor of BBQ sauce mixed with dark brown sugar.
- Refridgerate overnight and add more sauce if needed.
- Reheat in microwave and place on rolls.
- ***Freezes well if you have any leftovers!