Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
For best results, make this a day before eating. Temptation is great to eat it before it is done as it smells so YUMMY, but it is best if you let it "marinate" over night.
- Spray slow cooker with PAM spray for ease in clean up.
- Trim fat from meat, place in slow cooker.
- Top with 3 cloves of garlic (crushed),2 small onions (Chopped),Celery stalks cut to fit in cooker, hickory seasoning to taste.
- Pour root beer over everything.
- Cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove from pan, pull pork with a fork while cutting off extra fat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and your favorite flavor of BBQ sauce mixed with dark brown sugar.
- Refridgerate overnight and add more sauce if needed.
- Reheat in microwave and place on rolls.
- ***Freezes well if you have any leftovers!
Good the first day. Great on the second day! I used 2 tablespoons of hickory seasoning (liquid smoke) and when adding the bbq sauce I added approx 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to give it some tang. But the vinegar may not be necessary depending on the type of sauce used. I was using original Sweet Baby Rays and it needed kicked up a little. This is my new pulled pork recipe from here on out. Good recipe!
This was amazing! I have made it twice now, for just myself and my boyfriend, and it never makes it to the freezer. Thanks For this!
Great, easy recipe for pulled pork! The flavors are very mild on the first day, but the overnight rest and infusion of fresh ingredients REALLY makes the dish be all it can be. It'd be great if the ingredient list in the recipe said to separate part of the onion and garlic (I wound up with the full amount in the crock pot from the start, adding more in for the overnight rest, which tasted just fine regardless). I also thought that the whole thing was a little flat, adding in about 1/2 c of apple cider vinegar and a good bit of salt. Next time I make this dish, I'll also add in a couple of dry chilis for a bit of heat, and make sure the vinegar and salt go in the cooker at the start to fully flavor the meat. Nonetheless, this is a great, quick way to get a hearty meal ready and I'll be adding it to my recipes! Thanks!