Recipe by DrGaellon
This recipe is for a 4qt slow cooker; if using a 6qt pot, reduce the times by 25%. Adapted from a recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking. http://bit.ly/a9ogX2
Top Review by rosslare
Makes me think of like Italian Shepherds Pie, only without mashed potatoes, but a cheese puff topping. Tasty one, the 4 of us wolfed it down, no left overs for the next day! The cheese puff does need good seasoning with salt and pepper, before pouring it in.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried green pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 20 pepperoni slices (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced olive (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, place the ground beef, onions and garlic. Cook 8-10 minutes until no longer pink; break the beef up into small pieces with a spoon. Drain and discard the fat. Add salt, cornstarch, dried onion, parsley, sugar, garlic powder, green pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, the tomato sauce and the water. Stir over low heat until small bubbles appear around the edges.
- Spray a 4qt slow cooker with non-stick spray. Transfer the meat sauce into the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, milk, eggs and mozzarella cheese. Pour carefully over meat sauce. Top with pepperoni and/or olives, if desired. Sprinkle with parmesan, cover, and cook on high 4 hours (3 hrs for a 6qt pot), until the topping is puffed, golden brown, and pulling away from the sides of the pot. (Cooking on low is not recommended.).