Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great recipe to use for gathering. Scale it down for an intimate family dinner. Enjoy
- 5 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, bag of shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, bag of shredded
- 8 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese, bag of shredded
- Boil potatoes over medium heat, uncovered for about 10 minutes (until partially done, still firm in center).
- Drain and rinse potatoes in cold water and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add milk and stir contantly until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add in cheese one bag at a time, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place a layer of potatoes along the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover with a layer of cheese sauce.
- Add your next layer of potatoes, followed by cheese sauce and continue in this fashion.
- End with a layer of cheese sauce.
- Place in slow cooker set on 'high' for 2-3 hours. Potatoes will be tender when ready.
- ENJOY, and check out my other recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This was delicious tasting! My only complaint was that since it was created in a slow cooker, the potatoes and cheese didn't get that crusty goodness that one gets when baking it in the oven. However the leftovers were placed in a baking dish to be re-heated in the oven. I also added some crispy bacon as well. made to go with left over ham. Thanks for sharing!
Holy cow! These potatoes are fantastic! I've made many au gratin potatoes before, but I have finally found the perfect recipe. The whole family devoured these at dinner last night. The cheese sauce was exactly what I was looking for. A great blend of flavors. These were pretty easy to make as well. Thanks for sharing. I love them!