Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Cooking Light, I'm trying it this weekend.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless cross-rib roast, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme sprig, reserved for gremolata
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed plus
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped reserved for gremolata
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med high.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add roast to pan; cook 5 min, turning to brown on all sides.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Recoat skillet with spray.
- Add onion to pan; saute 8 min or til tender.
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients to pan; bring to a simmer.
- Add broth mixture to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme springs from slow cooker; discard.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- To prepare gremolata, combine parsley, chopped garlic and thyme, and lemon peel, stirring well.
- Serve with roast and veggie mixture.