Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Adapted from Real Simple
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb carrot (peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces, and halved lengthwise if thick)
- 1 lb baby potatoes or 15 baby potatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end left intact)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, cornstarch, and 1 cup water.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and bay leaves and toss to combine.
- Season the beef with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and set on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook until tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before discarding the kitchen twine and slicing the meat across the grain.
- Serve with the vegetables and cooking liquid and sprinkle with the parsley.