Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this recipe by The Noshery, had to make carnitas to make it and now have to make them again to have leftovers to do that !
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, Diced
- 3 garlic cloves, Minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked pork (Like Carnitas & Reserved Juices From Carnitas)
- 1 cup roasted green chilies, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green chili salsa (Medium)
- hominy, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Tabasco sauce
- Melt butter over medium heat and add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and spices. Saute until veggies are soft.
- Add vegetables in a slow cooker with pork, green chilies, salsa and hominy. Add reserved juices from the carnitas and stock to cover. Cover slow cooker and set on Low for 7 hours or High for 3 1/2 hours. Add tabasco to your taste and serve with desired garnishes.
- If you prefer to do this stovetop, saute veggies as directed and combine everything in a large heavy pot. Bring the soup to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 2 hours until flavors are well combined.