Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This slow cooker pork roast recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner when you know you won't have much time to cook. Just brown the pork loin in a butter, cover with mustard and cook on low for 6 hours with a little broth and vegetables.
Top Review by duonyte
This was a delicious roast for a Sunday dinner. It's easiest to poke the garlic slivers in if you twist the knife blade slightly as it is piercing the meat and slide the garlic sliver down the blade and into the meat. The garlic permeated the meat. I used a mix of sweet and white potatoes for veggies, and I thought the sweet potatoes actually were better. I used only one cup of chicken broth instead of the beef called for, and found that to be sufficient. My 2 1/2 lb roast was fully cooked in 3 hours in my 5-qt slow cooker - cooked, but still sliceable, which is how I want my roasts. Thanks for posting.
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in slender pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 lb carrot, cut in chunks
- 1 bouquet garni (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by making vertical slits with a pointy knife in the roast. Insert a piece of garlic in each of the holes.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium high heat. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper then brown it on all sides in the hot butter.
- When it's browned all over, remove from the heat and slather the mustard on all sides of the roast.
- Place about 1/2 of the cut potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the crockpot, then put the roast on top of this.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onions. Brown the onions for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Place the browned onions on top of the roast and add the rest of the carrots and potatoes as well.
- Return the skillet to the heat one last time and add about 1/2 cup of the beef bouillon. Use a wooden spatula to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan and into the bouillon. When most of the bits are unstuck, pour this along with the rest of the bouillon on top of the roast.
- Cook the pork roast for 6 hours on low heat. If you are home, you can give things a stir every once in a while.
- To serve, remove the roast form the crock pot and cut iit n thick slices. Serve in a deep plate with the potatoes and carrots and topped with a ladle of the sauce. Don't forget the French bread!
- Notes: This slow cooker pork roast recipe couldn't be simpler and you can change it around as you wish. You could for example, include green beans along with the other vegetables or use different herbs. A splash of wine would be a fine addition as well. A good tip from duonyte, if you twist the knife blade slightly as it is piercing the meat and slide the garlic sliver down the blade and into the meat. The garlic permeated the meat. I thank her for this.
- Don't worry about the mustard flavor being too strong. Mustard loses its bite when it is cooked, so all you get here is great flavor.
- Slow cooking in a juicy sauce is perfect for pork roasts, which otherwise have a tendency to be a bit dry. You'll want to serve this slow cooker pork roast recipe with a good loaf of French bread because there is lots of great sauce to sop up. A deep plate, called a soup plate, is ideal for serving juicy dishes like this.