Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is from my trusty "For the Breast of Friends" Cookbook, where the profits go to Breast Cancer research. This is posted for ZWT #6!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 pork chops (thick cut)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups sauerkraut (drained and rinsed under cold water)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1⁄2 cup condensed chicken broth
- In a skillet, heat oil over med-high heat and add pork chops in batches to brown on both sides, then add to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and dry mustard.
- In a bowl, combine sauerkraut and grated apple, then spread over he top of the pork and add chicken stock.
- Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours or high for about 2 1/2 hours.
This was a very nice pork meal and easy to prepare in the crock pot, great for a Sunday evening. Only thing I did different was slice the apple instead of grate it. (we just enjoy bigger anpple pieces). We thought it was good, but it was a tad bland. Next time we make it I will try and add some herbs to spice it up a little.