Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Saw this tonight on Paula Deen's show.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb ham hock
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- Wash the beans and soak overnight in cold water. Drain the beans and dump into slow cooker. Stir in chili powder and oregano.
- Pre-soak ham in a separate pot, for at least 2, or refrigerated up to 24 hours, depending on how salty you want your stock to be. Add ham hock to slow cooker with beans and pour in ham soaking liquid. Add more water until ham hock is completely covered.
- Add onion to slow cooker with beans and meat. Stir well. Season, to taste, with House Seasoning, cover the pot, and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 5 hours.
- House Seasoning:
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
@Closet-Chef...If you read the note on looneytunesfan's page it says she saw this on Paula Deen's show
Unbelievable!!! My family loved these more than any I'd ever cooked before. Hubby thinks he's a great bean cook and no one can compare - until I found this recipe!!! I cooked on high in my very OLD crock pot - put them on when I went to work and they cooked all day.
This bean dish is so tasty and so easy to make. I substituted smoked neck bones instead of ham hock, and added cayenne pepper. After simmering for about 7 hours, they were PERFECT! Soo incredibly good and saucy, perfect for serving over rice as well. This makes a great budget meal! Thanks for sharing - Chick