Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a fabulous and super-easy crock pot recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Slow Cooker Cookbook that I made a few small changes to. It is a delicious and nutritious dinner that is just as yummy leftover as it was the day was prepared. Make sure you garnish with grated Parmesan cheese :)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot (original recipe called for shredded)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (I make mine using bouillon cubes) or 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth (I make mine using bouillon cubes)
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker combine onions, carrots, celery, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, and pepper.
- Stir in water and broth.
- Cover; cook on high setting for 4 hours.
- Turn off cooker.
- Stir in rice and pesto.
- Cover; let stand for 7 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
My mom and my sister really enjoyed this - specifically the combination of vegetables. I felt it was a little "oregano-y" so next time I'll cut back on that. It was very easy to make and I loved the pesto flavor. Thank you for posting. Reviewed for My-3-Chefs - November '08.