Recipe by Irmgard
This delicious slow cooker soup comes from Canadian Living. I've made it a couple of times and it tastes better each time I make it.
Top Review by Sage
I made your soup and it turned out great.I didn't have bacon so I used 1 cup cubed ham but followed the rest of you recipe.Thanks for sharing this one.I'm adding a couple of pictures.I love making soup in teh slow cooker. Sage/Rita
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup tubetti
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat until crisp; transfer to slow cooker.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Fry onions, garlic, celery, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape into slow cooker.
- Mash 1 cup of the beans; add to slow cooker along with remaining beans.
- Add stock, tomatoes and bay leaf; cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and add to slow cooker.
- Add parsley and tomato paste; cover and cook on high for 10 minutes or until hot.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.