Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is from a magazine called "All You". It's a simple yet tasty recipe for those who enjoy cooking on the crockpot. Althought the recipe is called Paella I personally think that it's more like a Risotto since the dish turned out to be very moist!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken sausage, sliced diagonally (or any other kind of sausage you like)
- 1 small onion, finelly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finelly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, unseeded, cut into strips
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package Spanish rice mix (I used 3 bags because I couldn't find a box)
- 4 ounces cooked ham, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt (if necessary)
- Warm 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer cooked sausage to slow-cooker.
- On th same skillet cook onion, garlic and bell pepper, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker.
- Still on the same skillet, add 1 cup chicken broth, turn up the heat to high and bring it to a boil, stirring up browned bits. Pour into slow-cooker.
- Add remaining chicken broth, can diced tomatoes, rice mix and ham to slow-cooker. Add salt if necessary. Stir and cook on low setting until rice is tender, about 4 hours.
- Stir in frozen peas and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.