6 hrs 45 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
This delightful tummy pleaser is from my GF via Finecooking.com. There are two tricks to this recipe: browning the veal shanks before they go into the slow cooker and reducing the sauce before serving. The result is an osso buco you’d be hard-pressed to distinguish from the labor-intensive classic. Prep time includes prep and browning until it is all assembled in the slow cooker. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 veal shanks, 1-1/2- to 2-inch-thick (about 2-1/2 lb.)
- kosher salt, season to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, season to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
Gemolata for topping
- 1Put the flour in a wide, shallow dish. Season the veal shanks all over with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour; shake off the excess flour. *Note: you can tie a piece of twine around the shanks to hold them together during the cooking process. Remove at serving.
- 2Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, and when it foams, add the shanks to the skillet. Cook until golden, turning once, about 10 minutes. Transfer the shanks to a slow cooker.
- 3Add the wine to the skillet. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet and pour the contents of the skillet into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, onion, carrot, celery, and thyme. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours—the meat will be very tender and almost falling off the bone.
- 4Transfer the shanks to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a large skillet. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 cups, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the parsley, lemon zest, and garlic to make a gremolata. Serve the veal shanks topped with the sauce and the gremolata.
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Osso Buco
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.5
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 43.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: