Recipe by dmanmont
Don't have a smoker, but want that good, tangy, peppery North Carolina BBQ? Here is an alternative you can do in your slow cooker.
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 whole grain buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, salt, hot sauce, and black pepper in your slow cooker. Add chicken.
- Cook in a 3-4 quart slow cooker, on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. If using a larger 5-6 quart crock-pot, cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Just before serving, shred chicken (with two forks) and stir into sauce to incorporate.
- Serve on buns with coleslaw on top or as an accompaniment on the side, and pass hot sauce as needed.