Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe posted at Budget Bytes. The long slow cooking means you don't need to pre-soak the beans.
Top Review by Charlotte H.
I made this recipe last night. It was delicious. I used link pork sausage due to not having kielbasa on hand. Turned out really well. My hubby doesn't much like Navy Beans, he said...but ate 2 large bowls of this soup and said that he would like to see me make it again. It is now in my recipe binder for future meals. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 1 -2 teaspoon table salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 14 -16 ounces kielbasa, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort through beans, removing any debris or stones. Rinse briefly and add beans to a 5-qt or larger slow cooker. Add 1 tsp salt.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Mash 1/4 - 1/3 beans and vegetables (use a potato masher, food mill or blender - don't use an immersion blender, which will grind up the sausage with it) and stir in well. Taste and add additional salt by 1/4 tsp until it tastes good to you. Serve hot with crusty bread.