Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Dark meat chicken delivers tons of flavor at a low cost, and a long simmer in this spicy marinade packs extra punch. Preparation time includes overnight marinating. To complete this meal, you can serve the chicken and vegetables over cooked couscous. Drizzle it with some of the cooking liquid and garnish with sliced almonds!
Top Review by ellie_
This is a very good dish which we enjoyed! I made a few changes by only marinating the chicken for a few hours before putting in the the crockpot. I also used the whole can of chicken broth (which I think is 2 cups) and as I did not have dried apricots, used a can of unsweetened apricots, drained. This was a very sweet stew - we served it in bowls as soup/stew. Thanks for sharing! ZWT9
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, combine chicken thighs with cumin, coriander, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper; refrigerate overnight.
- In a 6- to 7-quart slow cooker bowl, combine chicken broth with tomatoes, beans, sweet potato, onion, and apricots. Place chicken in slow cooker on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook on Low setting for 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees). Transfer chicken to cutting board. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Stir in 1/4 t. (or to taste) salt into cooking liquid, if necessary.