Recipe by Mrs Joshi
This recipe was inspired by a Trevti Dal --"three dals" -- recipe from my favorite Indian cookbook author Tarla Dalal. My recipe is actually four different types of dal but can be adjusted to accommodate pretty any type of split or quick-cooking legume. Preparing this in a slow cooker results in an amazingly creamy and flavorful dal that can be eaten on its own as a soup, or enjoyed with its more traditional accompaniments of rotis and rice.
Top Review by Flylynda
So yummy, everyone had seconds! I was out of channa dal, so I used regular green lentils in their place. The masoor dal melts into a gravy. We are going to make it again when we have guests over.
- 1⁄2 cup split red lentils (masoor)
- 1⁄2 cup toor dal (arhar)
- 1⁄2 cup mung dal (split yellow moong)
- 1⁄2 cup channa dal (split)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the four types of lentils.
- Fill bowl with the mixed lentils and enough water to cover them. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asofoetida.
- Add the onion and garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and ginger, and saute for another minute or so.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the sauteed mixture to a 4-6 qt crockpot.
- Add the soaked mixed lentils and four cups of water to the crockpot and stir.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne, ground coriander, ground cumin, and salt to the crockpot and stir again.
- Cook in the crockpot, covered, on low heat for 5 - 7 hours, checking occasionally (mine was done in just under six hours).
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the tomato sauce and mix well. Add additional seasonings to taste if desired.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Enjoy!