6 hrs 15 mins
Mrs Joshi's Note:
This recipe was inspired by a Trevti Dal --"three dals" -- recipe from my favorite Indian cookbook author Tarla Dalal. My recipe is actually four different types of dal but can be adjusted to accommodate pretty any type of split or quick-cooking legume. Preparing this in a slow cooker results in an amazingly creamy and flavorful dal that can be eaten on its own as a soup, or enjoyed with its more traditional accompaniments of rotis and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup split red lentils (masoor)
- 1/2 cup toor dal (arhar)
- 1/2 cup mung dal (split yellow moong)
- 1/2 cup channa dal (split)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon hing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Rinse the four types of lentils.
- 2Fill bowl with the mixed lentils and enough water to cover them. Set aside.
- 3Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the cumin seeds.
- 4When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asofoetida.
- 5Add the onion and garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes.
- 6Add the jalapeno and ginger, and saute for another minute or so.
- 7Turn off the heat and transfer the sauteed mixture to a 4-6 qt crockpot.
- 8Add the soaked mixed lentils and four cups of water to the crockpot and stir.
- 9Add the turmeric, cayenne, ground coriander, ground cumin, and salt to the crockpot and stir again.
- 10Cook in the crockpot, covered, on low heat for 5 - 7 hours, checking occasionally (mine was done in just under six hours).
- 11In the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the tomato sauce and mix well. Add additional seasonings to taste if desired.
- 12Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Mixed Yellow Dal
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 304.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: