Recipe by twissis
Found in 1 of my newsletters from Grandparents.com, this sure-to-be tasty recipe was submitted to them by reader Debra J. of O'Fallon, Missouri. They described it as a "meaty & lightly spiced stew". They already had this Dallas transplant on the hook w/Mexican fare, but big for me was "cooking made easy" w/my slow cooker. I revere my slow cooker! ... If you’re unfamiliar w/hominy, it's frequently used in Southern, Southwest & Latin-style dishes & is made of corn kernels soaked in a weak powdered lime solution (I never knew that). You'll find canned hominy in the Latin or canned canned vegetable sections of your grocery store. (You will need to use a 5 qt slow cooker for this) *Enjoy!*
Top Review by weekend cooker
Definately comfort food satisfaction. Got up a 6am to start this, hoping that by 4 or so, (halftime of the game) would be ready. Worked out very well. I used white hominy, and used some Tex-Mex shredded cheese, and sour cream, for toppings. I did add a scant teaspoon of chili powder just for a personal preference. The end result was more than satisying, and perfect for a chili day here. Love the idea that this is a slow cooker recipe, and the aroma throughout the house during the morning, and mid afternoon had us waiting in anticipation for this delightful dinner. Made for your win in Football Pool.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy (white can also be used)
- 1 (15 ounce) whole kernel corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with green chilies, Rotel was suggested)
- 5 ounces water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley suggested)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a lrg skillet over med-high heat, cook onion & ground beef until meat is browned & onion is soft (about 10-15 min). Drain of any rendered fat & add the mixture to the slow cooker. Then pour the remaining ingredients on top (Do not drain any liquid from the cans) & stir well.
- You're done & the slow cooker does the rest. Cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 10 hours. Serving w/cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, corn chips or cilantro was suggested.