Recipe by Tarbean
Taken from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook "The meatballs cook right in the sauce, making it especially rich and robust. If you like, serve with spaghetti squash 'spaghetti' or low-carb pasta."
Top Review by Spencer #2
We enjoyed this recipe with several modifications. I reduced the eggs to 1 and added 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs to give the meatballs a nicer consistency. I used 1 lb. ground venison mixed with 1 lb. lean ground beef so meatballs were a little drier than most. I also skimmed grease off the top frequently as it tended to pool with watery-liquid. I made my own sauce with drained Italian tomatoes and canned tomato sauce. It was good and was served over spaghetti squash (cooked separately and pulled into strings).
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal (90% lean) or 1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (25 3/4 ounce) can spaghetti sauce ("lite" or "no sugar added")
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, using clean hands, combine meatball ingredients (ground pork through 1 tsp black pepper); set aside. In slow cooker crock, whisk together the sauce ingredients (spaghetti sauce through water).
- Form meat mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs and drop them into the sauce (some will stick out of the sauce; that's okay).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Before serving, stir gently so all meatballs are coated with sauce.