Recipe by zoe,owen,andliams mommy
This Paula Deen recipe is another family favorite
Top Review by JohnnysMommy
Made the following changes: Melted some smoked gouda cheese with the sharp cheddar. Used cream instead of milk for added smoothness. Dropped in a bit of Dijon mustard instead of dried mustard and a bit of red hot for some zing. Heavily salted the water when boiling the elbow mac which helped to develop the flavor overall. I used a liberal amount of salt and pepper when mixing cheese sauce for flavor. When adding the warm cheese mixture to the eggs, I tempered them first so that I didn't end up with scrambled eggs in the mac and cheese. Not much flavor when I made this prior to making these changes.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese or 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well.
- Then add drained macaroni and stir again.
- Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.