Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
We have a regular Monday night get together for dinner with friends. I try to make a different soup as a starter every week. Sometimes I follow a recipe & others I just sort of throw whatever appeals in the pot. This was last nights soup & it was one of the throw things together. We all agreed that this is a make again soup. I made this in a 1.5 litre slowcooker. It will serve 8 as a starter, 4 as a main course. I used a combination of portabello & white mushrooms, as that is what I had in the fridge. You could add some cooked diced chicken during the last hour of cooking if you wanted to.
- 2⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup sliced celery
- 2⁄3 cup diced bell pepper (orange & yellow)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups v 8 juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or sub vegetable broth)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup dried brown lentils (sorted & rinsed)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup barley (pot or pearl)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Saute musrhooms, celery & peppers in olive oil & butter for about 5 minutes, add the 1/8 tsp cumin just before the end.
- Add all the veggies, juice 1 1/2 cups chicken broth & seasonings to slowcooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add barley & as much of the last cup of chicken broth as needed.
- Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh parsley when serving.