Recipe by Lainey6605
This recipe isn't meant to "replace" oven-baked lasagna. However, it is a convenient tasty meal to come home to on a busy workday as well as weekends.
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
I made this Lasagna in my West Bend 6-quart rectangular slow-cooker, which comes w/a heating plate, and cooked it for 4-1/2 hours on setting NO. 3. I did tweak the recipe just a bit, and instead of using ground beef, I used seasoned ground pork sausage (which our family makes and it's seasoned with garlic, onion, sage, salt & pepper), and I still added 1 small onion (diced), plus 1 teaspoon of Mrs Dash Table Blend Seasoning (as I thought the meat/sauce needed a bit more spice). I subbed tomato puree for the tomato sauce, and after I started mixing 3 cups of the shredded mozzarella cheese along with the parmesan cheese and cottage cheese, I ended up adding another 1/2 cup of the cottage cheese to the mixture, as it seemed to be a bit too dry, so I didn't add the extra cup of the shredded cheese. I did however, sprinkle the top of the Lasagna with a 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella before cooking it. Also... I did not use the full 8-oz. pkg of noodles (9 noodles). I only used layered in 7 of them (2 on the bottom, 2 in the middle, and 3 ontop). In all this was a really good Lasagna, and my daughter said the same thing, as after I made it, I took some of it to her house, and she heated it up shortly after I left. If I were to make this Lasagna as written, I would probably rate this recipe with 4 stars, as I really do think this Lasagna needs more spice/seasonings, and making it with seasoned pork sausage, makes this Lasagna more flavorable, where as plain hamburger does not. With the modifications I made... I think this recipes deserves 5 stars. This is one Lasagna I look forward to making again. Thank you Lainey for sharing this recipe. It was really delicious!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt and oregano; mix well.
- Spread a fourth of the meat sauce in an ungreased 5-quart slow cooker. Arrange a third of the noodles over sauce (break the noodles if necessary).
- Combine the cheeses; spoon a third of the mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender.