Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a spicy sweet stew made easy in a crock pot. Cook on high for 5 hours for a quicker meal. Recipe from January 30, 2007 Woman's World.
- 680.38 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 78.07 ml raisins
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml cayenne
- 680.38 g lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 425.24 g can chickpeas
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- In 4 quart crock pot, layer potatoes, onion, and raisins.
- In a bowl, combine cumin, salt, and cayenne. Add lamb and toss to coat.
- Place lamb on top of potatoes. Add tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Stir in chickpeas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Wow! My family loved this stew, even the kids! I think we had one serving left at the end of dinner. I did toss the lamb in the spice mixture then brown it over medium-high heat in two batches in a non-stick 12" skillet with about a teaspoon of vegtable oil per batch. I also forgot to put the cilantro in--darn it, now I have a bunch of cilantro to figure out what to do with. We will definitely make this again.
This was slightly sweet and very filling, but I didn't find it to be very spicy. My lamb was very tender. I also forgot the cilantro, but it was great. Also, I added some winter squash. I cooked 4 hours on high.
This was SOoooooo yummy! I loved it. my kids were just ok with it. but I loved it a lot. I served it with a heavy sweeter bread. I also used morrocan rub and lamb spices (epicure pre mix) just because that is what I had. this is a dish worthy of company.