Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Real Simple Magazine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup couscous
- chopped pistachios, fresh cilantro leaves, and lemon wedges, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the lamb, carrots, onion, apricots, olives, garlic, flour, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ½ cup water.
- Cover and cook until the lamb and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Ten minutes before serving, cook the couscous according to the package directions. Serve the lamb on the couscous with the pistachios, cilantro, and lemon wedges.
The flavor development was very good. The apricot and olive flavors got lost. I will have to try it without them to see if they contributed significantly to the flavor or if it was the spices that did it. I had no carrots. Having no couscous, I served it over brown rice. After it was done cooking, I zapped okra and moringa and added them so there was green with the dinner. If you don't know moringa, think half inch leaves of delicate spinach.
Five adults plus two kids can't all be wrong and rarely agree on anything, but this recipe was the exception. "Really good" and "I think I'll have more of that", was mantra for the evenings meal. Not easily accomplished in this house, so I look forward to serving it again. Great for dinner parties or a simple family meal.