Recipe by jeninbrighton
This Jerk Chicken has a lovely flavour and aroma, but is not too spicy. It's really easy to make too, and tastes great with rice and bell peppers, wrapped in tortillas.
- 8 pieces chicken thighs or 8 pieces chicken drumsticks or 8 pieces chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄2 pint chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan until melted, then add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan, and transfer to the ceramic cooking pot. Switch the slow cooker to high.
- Add the spring onions, garlic and chilli to the frying pan and cook gently for 4-5 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Stir in the allspice, cinnamon, thyme, nutmeg and sugar. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to mix, then gradually add the chicken stock, stirring until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir the vinegar, lime juice, tomato paste and some salt and ground black pepper into the sauce. Pour over the chicken pieces, cover with a lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until the chickeen is cooked and very tender.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and place on a serving dish. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, then serve separately, with salad leaves or rice as an accompaniment. I usually chop up some tomatoes and peppers and wrap it all up in a tortilla.