Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This peasant style chicken dinner fills the house with a wonderful aroma as it cooks. Starting with frozen chicken helps keep it moist during the long cooking. Serve over hot cooked pasta with slabs of buttered fresh bread. We really like garlic. Feel free to reduce the quantities. If your cooker runs 'hot', check after 3 hours to see if it's almost done, then prop lid for remaining hour. If your cooker runs 'slower', check after 4 or 5 hours. You don't want to overcook the chicken as it will become dry. Once you know, you can note the cooking time on the recipe printout for future reference.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin half moons
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 large carrot, cut in thin half moons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup baby portabella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless still frozen
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Spray cooker with nonstick. Place onions, carrot, celery, mushrooms and eggplant in cooker. Top with chicken breasts (still frozen).
- In bowl, combine tomato paste, tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, chopped garlic, spices and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Place rosemary sprig on top.
- Cover and cook on high 4-6 hours, propping open the lid with toothpick the last hour to thicken the sauce. If your cooker runs 'hot', check after 3 hours to see if it's almost done, then prop lid. If your cooker runs 'slower', check after 4 or 5 hours. You don't want to overcook the chicken as it will become dry. Once you know, you can note the cooking time on the recipe printout.