Chef mariajane's Note:
This is a traditional Irish stew to simmer in the slow cooker for easy preparation while the family is away at school and work. Chunky potatoes fill this hearty stew to warm you up on a cold night. Look for less expensive cuts of lamb for stews, such as shanks and shoulders or let chops, that are meaty and flavourful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, shoulder chops or 3 lbs lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon savory or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons savory, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lbs round potatoes (Iabout 8) or 2 1/2 lbs long potatoes, peeled and cubed (Iabout 8)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Sprinkle both sides of lamb cuts with half of the salt and pepper. Brown lamb all over, in batches, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place in slow cooker.
- 2Add water to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits. Pour liquid into slow cooker.
- 3Return skillet to medium heat and cook onions, carrots, parsley thyme and remaining salt and pepper for about 8 minutes until softened and beginning to turn golden.
- 4Scrape into slow cooker.
- 5Add stock and potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until lamb is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
- 6In a small bowl, mash together butter and flour until well combined. Uncover slow cooker, and stir butter mixture into stew and cook on high for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Irish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (605 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.9
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 836.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 48.0 g