Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Every New Years Day for about 5 years I sent this out the the Maintenance men at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, along with a big pan of cornbread, and the slow cooker always came home empty! It's good luck for New Years.
- In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker put ham, carrots, onion and celery as first layer.
- Add 3 cans blackeyed peas and collard greens as second layer.
- Mix spices in chicken broth and pour over all.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, depending on your slow cooker.
- Cook rice according to directions on package and add to Hoppin' John just before serving.
- Add more chicken broth if needed.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings.