Recipe by Bugeah
This is from "The Vegetarian Slow Cooker" by Judith Finlayson. This is so good that even my meat-eating family didn't miss the meat, and I didn't get one complaint (even from the pickiest one). I serve this with some vegan cornbread...yumm! Do the prep and stove cooking the night ahead and just dump into the slow cooker in the morning if you don't have time in the morning.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups white beans, cooked and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegan monterey jack cheese
- avocado, sliced (optional)
- vegan sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peeled and cubed eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let sit for 30-60 minutes, then rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and saute until lightly browned. When done, move to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to skillet, adding more oil if needed. Saute about 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano and saute for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, then move to the slow cooker.
- Add vegetable broth, beans, and hominy to slow cooker and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Add bell pepper and jalapeno. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and serve. Garnish with avocado and sour cream if desired.