1 hr 20 mins
This is from "The Vegetarian Slow Cooker" by Judith Finlayson. This is so good that even my meat-eating family didn't miss the meat, and I didn't get one complaint (even from the pickiest one). I serve this with some vegan cornbread...yumm! Do the prep and stove cooking the night ahead and just dump into the slow cooker in the morning if you don't have time in the morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups white beans, cooked and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegan monterey jack cheese
- avocado, sliced (optional)
- vegan sour cream (optional)
- 1Place peeled and cubed eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let sit for 30-60 minutes, then rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- 2Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and saute until lightly browned. When done, move to slow cooker.
- 3Reduce heat to medium and add onions to skillet, adding more oil if needed. Saute about 3 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Add garlic, cumin, and oregano and saute for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, then move to the slow cooker.
- 5Add vegetable broth, beans, and hominy to slow cooker and stir well.
- 6Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- 7Add bell pepper and jalapeno. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes.
- 8Stir in cheese and serve. Garnish with avocado and sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Hominy-Spiked Light Chili
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.6
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 246.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan monterey jack cheese