Recipe by Tarbean
Taken from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook
Top Review by Wildflower5656
I roast a whole chicken about once a week, to get a few inexpensive meals, so maybe we're tough critics, but we were not all that impressed with this chicken. After 10 hrs. in the slow cooker my 7-1/4lb. bird's timer had still not popped, but visually was done. I pulled it out to find dry, dry breasts. I did like your seasoning, so I may try it again roasted in the oven, the usual way. In the meantime, I think I'll keep my chickens away from the slow cooker.
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, divided
- 2 teaspoons thyme, divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano, divided
- 3 -4 lbs young roasting chickens, rinsed, with neck and giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pitcher, stir together the water, salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1 tsp each of rosemary, thyme, and oregano; whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place the chicken into a large zip-top bag; pour reserved liquid mixture into the bag and seal. Place the bag into a large bowl and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- When ready to cook, coat the slow cooker crock with cooking spray.
- Drain and discard the marinating liquid and place the bird into the slow cooker.
- Rub the bird with the olive oil, then sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, and 1 tsp oregano. Turn the bird breast-side down in the crock.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours; check doneness with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 170). When done, let the bird rest in the covered slow cooker for 10 min before serving.