Recipe by Just_Ducky!!
I'm posting this recipe at the request of a friend. The original is from "Company's Coming Slow Cooker Recipes" with my changes and is for a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker/Crock Pot. I use whole wheat flour for bread or at least half & half, added basil, changed vegetable oil to olive oil and increased the quantities of garlic & onion powders. In the bread mix itself I use brown sugar based on personal preference, I think honey would work too. Adjust spices to your preference. Unfortunately my newer Crock Pot is too big to do this in but it was one of our favourite breads, particularly to go with stews & soups. Easy to prepare, very moist and yummy, it was always a hit in our house :)
Top Review by Sunny Yukon
Its gotta be worth 5 stars in my books when I eat 3/4 of it before I finally let someone else have some! I really liked the increased amounts of herbs in spices in this recipe, the flavour comes through very nicely and was a great companion to soup and chile. I also had a couple slices with my tea. It is bread... but I haven't tried it for a sandwich (yet). It baked very nicely in my crockpot, and I was really pleased with the texture. It was lovely to have a delicious loaf of bread without all the rising and kneading. Thank you for posting the recipe!
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or one envelope)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm a large bowl in the microwave. In bowl, mix together 1 1/3 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast on water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in yeast to dissolve.
- Add next 10 ingredients.
- Mix to moisten.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium for 2 minutes or by hand until well mixed.
- Knead in second amount of flour.
- Place dough into well greased 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Smooth top with a wet hand.
- Place 5-6 paper towels between top of slow cooker and lid.
- Put an object 1/8 inch thick (such as a wooden match) between paper towels and edge of slow cooker to allow steam to escape.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- Do NOT lift the lid for the first 2 hours of cooking time.
- Loosen sides, a thin knife works well.
- Gently remove from slow cooker and place on a wire rack to cool. (Not too much though, this is so :yummy: served warm).