2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I'm posting this recipe at the request of a friend. The original is from "Company's Coming Slow Cooker Recipes" with my changes and is for a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker/Crock Pot. I use whole wheat flour for bread or at least half & half, added basil, changed vegetable oil to olive oil and increased the quantities of garlic & onion powders. In the bread mix itself I use brown sugar based on personal preference, I think honey would work too. Adjust spices to your preference. Unfortunately my newer Crock Pot is too big to do this in but it was one of our favourite breads, particularly to go with stews & soups. Easy to prepare, very moist and yummy, it was always a hit in our house :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or one envelope)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Warm a large bowl in the microwave. In bowl, mix together 1 1/3 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar.
- 2Sprinkle yeast on water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in yeast to dissolve.
- 5Add next 10 ingredients.
- 6Mix to moisten.
- 7Beat with electric mixer on medium for 2 minutes or by hand until well mixed.
- 9Knead in second amount of flour.
- 10Place dough into well greased 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- 11Smooth top with a wet hand.
- 12Place 5-6 paper towels between top of slow cooker and lid.
- 13Put an object 1/8 inch thick (such as a wooden match) between paper towels and edge of slow cooker to allow steam to escape.
- 15Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- 16Do NOT lift the lid for the first 2 hours of cooking time.
- 18Loosen sides, a thin knife works well.
- 19Gently remove from slow cooker and place on a wire rack to cool. (Not too much though, this is so :yummy: served warm).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Herb Bread
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 167.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.1 g