1/2 Photos of Slow Cooker Herb Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This bread recipe gets baked in your slow cooker. No heating up the kitchen with your oven! The recipe comes from Salton Multipot Slow Cooker and was found on www.canada.com. I've made this once so far. For my first time I omitted the herbs and substituted a cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour. I used the full 3 hours to "bake" it as the crock pot I used is an older one which seems to cook at a lower temperature than the newer crock pots. The top of the bread remains soft but the sides become crusty. Step 1 should read "without the crock" not with the crock. I've tried submitting a correction for this mistake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lukewarm water, divided
- 1 (8 g) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon milk, approximately
- 1Preheat slow cooker unit, without the crock, on high.
- 2Grease slow crock very well and line the bottom with a greased round of parchment paper.
- 3Sprinkle interior of crock with cornmeal.
- 4Stir yeast and sugar into 1/2 cup of the water, set in a warm place and let stand for 10 minutes or until very foamy.
- 5Place flour in large bowl and mix in the herbs and salt.
- 6Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture, remaining water and oil.
- 7Mix by hand until a ragged dough forms.
- 8Knead the dough on a well-floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic (add up to 3/4 cup additional flour as needed to prevent sticking).
- 9Place dough in the crock and brush the top with the milk.
- 10Let stand in warm place for 5 minutes.
- 11Place crock in slow cooker unit, cover and bake on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the dough springs back when lightly pressed on top and the sides of the loaf are browned.
- 12Carefully remove crock and place on dry surface (otherwise crock may crack), allow to stand for 5 minutes, turn crock upside down and give it a sharp, quick shake to release loaf.
- 13Cool completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Herb Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2398.2
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 1204.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 451.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 62.6 g